The combination of political instability and violence in the English-speaking part of the country has left Cameroon in a highly vulnerable situation. In addition to this, there are hate messages and invective from some tribes on social networks and even on some media. This even involves some political, administrative and traditional authorities.
These different situations have several effects:
- A lack of trust between the leaders, the elected officials and the citizens;
- A weakening of the concept of living together and of the unity of the country, despite the implementation of the Bilingualism and Multiculturalism Commission by the government, which is taking time to bear fruit;
- And a lack of interest, especially among young people, in the political life of their country.
This project is an initiative that aims to encourage the participation of young people aged from 15 to 35 years old in the management of local public affairs. Moreover, it aims to promote the consolidation of national unity. As a matter of fact, the main victims, but also the main targets of armed groups or political manipulation are these young people. And if we consider the fact that they constitute more than 60% of the population of Cameroon, the greatest investment in the youth is the best way to build a Cameroon where it is good to live together.
Main goals of the project
Promote an active involvement of youth in the electoral process in the Central, Littoral and Western regions and the construction of a sustainable peace.
- Inform and sensitize youth about the challenges related to peace, social stability and dialogue as a means of pacifying relations between actors;
- Clarify the place and role of youth in the dynamics of peace building, culture of coexistence as well as tolerance;
- Encourage the participation of youth in the upcoming elections;
- Raise awareness among youth about the importance of local voting through community radios;
- Consolidate the foundations of inclusive governance through the promotion of citizen engagement and participation in the targeted regions in order to contribute to the reduction of confidence crisis in public institutions;
- Organization of three one-day training seminars on the themes concerning the prevention and resolution of conflicts through non-violent strategies, the involvement of youth in the electoral process, the culture of peace and peaceful coexistence;
- Production and distribution of visual aids for sensitization on local elections such as flyers and t-shirts;
- Implementation of an exchange platform between youth associations;
- Production of an educational comic book featuring real-life scenes;
- Organization of a Peace Camp with 75 young people.